On an annual basis, the Board of Directors of the Church Athletic League (CAL) shall accept applications, assess the qualifications of, and appoint a Referee-in-Chief who will carry out the duties of said position as outlined in this policy.
During the selection process, the CAL Board of Directors may call on other qualified individuals not elected to the Board of Directors to assist in the selection of the Referee-in-Chief.
The selected Referee-in-Chief will serve for one calendar year, from July 1st of each year through to June 30th of the successive year, unless otherwise removed from the position by a majority vote of the CAL Board of Directors.
Accordingly, the Referee-in-Chief (RIC) will receive an annual stipend, to be set by the CAL Board of Directors annually during the application period for the position. The annual stipend will be paid on a schedule agreed to by the CAL Board and the RIC.
The RIC of the CAL assumes all responsibility for, and oversight of, the officials and officiating program of the CAL. This includes but is not limited to:
- Recruits, selects and assists with credentials a pool of high-quality referees to officiate all CAL games and CAL organized tournaments;
- Provides and/or arranges any necessary referee clinics, training sessions or other programming needed to credential potential referees, enhance the skills or existing referees and/or improve the performance of referees not meeting the minimal standards;
- Prepares, schedules, assigns and distributes a duty roster (digitally or otherwise) demonstrating coverage for all applicable CAL on-ice hockey events;
- Monitors, assesses and provides feedback to active referees regarding their knowledge and application of the rules of hockey and their on-ice performance. This includes the referee’s punctuality as well as their outward appearance;
- Understands the procedures that referees are expected to follow regarding game or other related incidents;
- Communicates regularly with the CAL President, Board of Directors, Hockey Committee and the roster of referees regarding all matters pertinent to on-ice officials and to the rules and regulations;
- Assists the CAL President, Board of Directors and Disciplinary Committee in disciplinary matters related to referees, players, Association Members or others;
- Attends Hockey Committee meetings, training sessions and other events relevant to the position of RIC; and
- Carries out other duties as assigned by the CAL President;
The qualified individual will hold valid referee certification from Hockey Canada, possess and demonstrate knowledge and interpretation of the rules and other related and relevant policies and procedures. The RIC will possess excellent organizational skills as well as demonstrate effective leadership qualities i.e., communication, passion, positivity, innovation and collaboration.
Novice & Tyke Programming News
The CAL Board of Directors, in consultation with our Hockey Committee, are working diligently exploring programming for our Tyke & Novice Divisions for the 2018-19 season, following the guidelines set out by the OMHA & Hockey Canada. Our Novice Teams will be playing regularly scheduled full ice games which may include games with KAMHA's Novice Teams. Tyke Teams will be playing in a "half ice format" (as mandated by the OMHA & Hockey Canada), and may include games with KAMHA's Tyke Teams. It is our belief that we must continue to focus on optimizing the hockey experience for our youngest players in order to keep them interested in playing hockey next year and into the future. All too often, our kids leave hockey entirely after their first or second season in this sport because of an unsatisfactory experience. Teams will continue to have their weekly practice, and their games will, for the most part, continue to be on Saturday mornings.
We welcome any and all feedback from your experience over the course of this past season, and enhancements for our upcoming season.
The Church Athletic League (CAL) is accepting applications for the position of Referee-in-Chief for the 2018/19 season. The Referee-in-Chief (RIC) will receive an annual stipend, to be set by the CAL Board of Directors annually during the application period for the position. Please click 'More Information' below for the details, duties, and information on how to apply for this position. Thank you for your interest.
At the 2013 Ontario Minor Hockey Association’s Annual General Meeting, the OMHA Board of Directors announced the OMHA will move to become a complete ‘Respect’ integrated association effective the 2014-15 season. The ‘Respect in Hockey’ initiative will require all Team Officials, On-ice Volunteers, On-Ice Officials and now Parents to take the appropriate ‘Respect’ education.